1 2 assignment health policy and access
This assignment investigates the issue of healthcare access in the United States and its influence on health policy. Understanding the foundational elements of health system access is an essential step in generating meaningful policy enhancements to generate improvements.
Upon successful completion of the course material, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between potential, realized, and equitable access.
- Textbook: Changing the U.S. Health Care System: Key Issues in Health Services Policy and Management
Considerable attention is given to the basic trends as well as research and policy issues related to monitoring and evaluating health care access. Monitoring and evaluating access allows us to (1) predict use of health services, (2) promote social justice, and (3) improve effectiveness and efï¬ciency of health services delivery. The improvement of access through the 2010 Affordable Care Act, the most sweeping legislation to improve access since the enactment of Medicare and Medicaid almost ï¬fty years ago, has yet to be determined. However, The Affordable Care Act mandated the establishment of compliance programs for all healthcare providers enrolled in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Many other interventions may be necessary to overcome the many obstacles to access, and healthcare professionals must continue to be vigilant to ensure progress is made.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review chapters 1 & 2, in Changing the U.S. Health Care System: Key Issues in Health Services Policy and Management.
- Review Discussion 1.1 – Devotion.
- Utilizing workshop readings, the workshop devotional, and your own online research, write a 3-page paper answering the following questions:
- A health policy might promote â€˜â€˜realized accessâ€™â€™ but not â€˜â€˜effective accessâ€™â€™ or â€˜â€˜efï¬cient access.â€™â€™ The majority of the U.S. population believes the U.S. system has a â€˜â€˜major problem.â€™â€™ Is the most important problem the system faces one of realized access, effective access, or efï¬cient access?
- How did the 2010 ACA attempt to address the most important access problem you identified?
- In the paper, be sure to:
- Include an introduction and conclusion.
- Define, describe, and illustrate each key concept.
- Apply biblical principles where appropriate.
- Defend your position, citing research and/or evidence to support your arguments.
- Your paper should include at least three citations from the textbook, articles, or other credible sources. Your citations must be in proper APA format.
- When youâ€™ve completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor using the Assignment submission page (TurnItIn will be enabled) by the end of the workshop.